Flatwoods Church of Christ, located in Flatwoods, Kentucky is under the oversight of the Flatwoods church of Christ elders.
Churches of Christ worldwide are dedicated to the principle of restoring New Testament Christianity in every essential – in doctrine, practice, worship, organization, and name. The plea is to “speak where the Bible speaks, and be silent where the Bible is silent.” We urge a return to the church we read about in the Bible, founded by Christ Himself.
The CHURCH OF CHRIST first met in Flatwoods, Kentucky on March 29, 1959 at 2506 Argillite Road. The membership initially consisted of Greenup County residents who had previously worshipped with churches of Christ in Ashland, Kentucky and Ironton, Ohio, and saw a need for planting a congregation in the growing community of Flatwoods.
Some of the original families consisted of those of Ezra Boyd, Rex Crum, William Finch, Allen Galloway, James Gibbs, Ishmael Napier, Bernard Mays, Joseph McCalvin, Chester Moore, Sam Picklesimer, John Ramey, Vincent Stone, and David Williamson.
The original building erected was eventually outgrown, and a new building, seating more than 500 people, was constructed in 1976 at 2100 Argillite Road. A special service to inaugurate the new facility was conducted on April 18, 1976, with Dr. Adron Doran, gospel preacher and Morehead State University president, speaking.
In 1972 elders and deacons were first appointed. Men who have served as elders of the church have included Allen Galloway, Joe Hawkins, Ishmael Napier, David Williamson, Bobby Gibbs, Clarence Wheeler, David Bryan, Lowell Parsley, Verne Ragle, J.C. Hughes, and currently Nathan Adkins, Greg Conley, Greg Hall, Mark Parks, and Chris Scott.
Those who have served the church as deacons have included Irvin Combs, Winslow Roberts, Richard Cole, John Gambill, Leland “Buddy” Hart, Jack Isaacs, Dan Maynard, Marvin Preston, Henry Lakes, Calvin Maynard, Eric Maynard, Ranie Wohnhas, Charles “Buck” Wheeler, David Boggs, Edgar Phillips, Darren Davis, David Smith, Jerry Sturgill, and currently are J.C. Hughes, Daniel Goshorn, Brad Morris, Nathan Parks, Jeremiah Smith, Matt Vonderheide, and Steven Wallace.
Ministers who have served the congregation include John Payne, Hunter Miller, Roy Doss, J.E. Alexander, Clark Elkins, Lacy Taylor, Irvin Kirk, Phil Kinzer, Mitchell Lollar, Mike Tucker, and Dan Easter. The current minister is Mark Day.
Many dedicated brothers and sisters have capably and faithfully served as Bible teachers, and others who have served the church in numerous positive ways are too many to name!
From its beginning in 1959, the Flatwoods church of Christ has continued to love, serve, and grow. A variety of programs have been initiated: youth programs (including several full-time and part-time youth ministers), summer church camps, Bible classes, bus ministries, vacation Bible schools, financial support of missions in America and throughout the world, preaching the gospel by radio and television, gospel meetings, singing schools, special training classes, men’s days and ladies days, benevolence to the poor and needy, visiting the sick and shut-ins, nursing home singing, and comforting the hurt and afflicted. Two other churches have been established from Flatwoods: Olive Hill (1972) and Maysville (1976), Kentucky. An annual “Little School” pre-school program is provided free to the community. A multi-purpose facility was erected next to the auditorium in 2004. In 2007 the congregation began enrollment in the Flatwoods Bible Institute, a school of Bible studies. The church also continues to support the TV Show “In Search of the Lord’s Way” that airs each Sunday at 7:30 am on Fox.
For more than fifty years the Flatwoods church of Christ has sought to assist our community by reflecting the light of Christ to others as a “city that is set on a hill” which “cannot be hid” (Matthew 5:16), by showing the love of God to one another and to our neighbors, and by preaching the good news of Christ. And this we determine, with God’s help, to continue to do.